One of the rooms in this house that we have NEVER shown you is our main bathroom. And for very good reason!
It was ugly!
Nothing like a green tub and tiles, brown flooring, rust colored walls and a hunter green vanity! Not to mention a massive medicine cabinet, 70's wood trim and a spaceship looking light fixture!
When we made it to the final round of Creating with the Stars a couple of weeks ago and were faced with the Home Decor round, this was the room we picked to makeover.
In less than a week!
Did I mention that it's our ONLY bathroom?
Let's just say I was a little cranky that week. Sigh.
But the end result was totally worth it. And even though we came in last in the finals of #CWTS2014, we adore our bathroom. Even we couldn't figure out how we lived with it as it was for over a year. Totally #firstworldproblems, I know.
(Find similar faux flowers here)
Painting the walls was the first step. Unfortunately I didn't think to use primer and it took three coats to cover up all the rust color.
Then I painted the trim. And forgot to use primer again. So I painted four coats to cover the door and door trim's 1970's orange wood glow.
And I painted the vanity. Amazing what a difference paint makes! Thankfully the vanity only needed two coats of paint. By this point I'd worn my paint clothes for about 4 days straight.
Dean laid new vinyl tile. Yes, vinyl. Dean hates laying ceramic and didnt' have time to fight with it that week. Even still the new tile really freshens up the bathroom. As does the new baseboard, door knob and hinges.
In decorating the bathroom, I wanted to think beyond the normal bathroom stuff. So we used actual curtains for a shower curtain (there's a vinyl one behind it for water protection) and hung them really high, brought in flowers (they're fake!) and I shrunk a great print by DearLillie to fit in a glam silver frame.
Dean spotted the metal and chalkboard tote first and thought it would make a great toothbrush organizer. There are five of us which equals many toothbrushes and toothpastes!
We made the shelves – they're just like the ones found in our kitchen. And we put together the towel hooks too. Just simple things to add some rustic elegance to the space.
- Bathmat/rug – Target Canada
- Shower Curtain – actual curtain, Homesense (Find VERY similar greek key shower curtains here!)
- Wire laundry basket – Homesense (Find a similar laundry basket here!)
- Mirror – Homesense
- Galvanized chalkboard divided tote – Homesense
- Faux plants – Urban Barn
- Metal file sorter (used as towel holder) – Homesense
- Gear clock – Homesav (Similar here)
- Wire lined baskets – Homesense (Similar here)
- Metal chalkboard hanging tags – Target Canada
- Large jar of soap bars – Target Canada
- Other miscl. accessories – Homesense
- Chalkboard art (in silver frame) – Dear Lillie
- Vanity legs – The Home Depot
- Vanity Hardware – The Home Depot
- Vanity Lights – Lowe's
- Wall Paint – Snowbound, Sherwin Williams
- Trim Paint – Snowbound, Sherwin Williams
- Vanity Paint – Grey Tweed, CIL tinted in Sherwin Williams Duration line
So, what do you think? Did we do good? Have you made over a bathroom lately?