Because we do DIY projects all the time, sometimes I forget to post one.
This project was born out of necessity, as my projects often are.
I needed something to fill the vertical space on this non-seasonal mantel back in 2011.
So I grabbed a board, stained it and added a personal date in short form. Voila! Instant “art” that I've used over and over again!
Special Date Stenciled Sign
- 1″ x 6″x 36″ wood board
- dark walnut stain
- lint free rag
- large stencils OR
- computer, paper, printer and a Stencil font
- paint brush
- saw tooth (or other) hanger
- hammer and nail
1. If not done already, cut wood to size. Then using a lint free rag stain according to stain packaging's instructions. Let dry.
2. If not using actual stencils, print dates on paper. Using the pencil transfer method (rub pencil all over back side of paper, flip over and trace outline onto wood), apply penciled outlines of numbers to board. If using stencil, apply stencil and trace number outlines onto board.
3. Now paint inside pencil lines with a small brush and paint. Let dry
4. Attach saw tooth (or other) hanger to back side of board. Hang and enjoy!
You could use anniversaries, birthdays or any other significant dates to make this custom “stenciled” sign. It even makes a great gift!
Have you made anything fun lately?
Free DECORATING 101 Course
JOIN OVER 7,751 SUBSCRIBERS WHO ARE LEARNING EXACTLY WHERE TO START AND HOW TO CONFIDENTLY DECORATE THEIR OWN HOMES - AND GET THE 'DECORATING 101' COURSE FOR FREE!