I'm a big fan of my slow cooker.
Well, except for cleaning it.
That I don't like too much. It's so heavy!
Anyway, this time of year is the perfect time to make comfort foods in a crock pot or slow cooker. The yummy scent that fills the house as foods gently simmer all day. Mmm.
One of my favorite comfort foods are cabbage rolls. But they're rather time consuming and tricky to make.
Remember, I like quick and easy. That goes for crafts and recipes.
So I've combined a few recipes to make a Slow Cooker Cabbage Casserole.
Tastes like cabbage rolls but takes far less effort to make!
Shannon Acheson, AKA Design
Tastes like cabbage rolls but so much easier to make!
15 minPrep Time
8 hrCook Time
8 hr, 15 Total Time
- .5 kg/1 lb ground chicken, turkey or pork
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 28 ounce can strained/crushed tomatoes*
- 1 tsp each oregano, paprika, parsley*
- 1/2 tsp sugar*
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Spread raw ground meat along bottom of slow cooker.
- Add the onions, garlic, salt, pepper, paprika and thyme.
- Add cabbage and rice.
- Pour diced tomatoes on top.
- Mix sugar, oregano and parsley into strained/crushed tomatoes. Pour over everything.*
- Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- When done, remove lid, stir and serve.
You can leave out the rice if you want a lower carb option.
Cooled cabbage casserole can also be frozen in freezer bags (or other freezer packages) and reheated later!
Are you a fan of slow cookers? What are some of your favorite comfort foods?
Free DECORATING 101 Course
JOIN OVER 7,751 SUBSCRIBERS WHO ARE LEARNING EXACTLY WHERE TO START AND HOW TO CONFIDENTLY DECORATE THEIR OWN HOMES - AND GET THE 'DECORATING 101' COURSE FOR FREE!