Dean and I are doing something we have NEVER done before. We are joining the exciting craziness that is the One Room Challenge™ to make over our modern farmhouse kitchen!
Like I mentioned in this post, we knew when we bought this house that we wanted to change up the kitchen to make it more functional for our family, while also making a bit more in line with our modern farmhouse style. So we're tackling a kitchen makeover – again.
Over the next few weeks, you'll be seeing our modern farmhouse kitchen makeover in almost real time.
Our To Do List/The Plan
There are a few things in the kitchen that we're not replacing, either because we already did or because they just aren't priority right now.
We've already replaced the light fixtures and the faucet. Although we had to get a replacement for the faucet because the one we bought was leaking. Here's hoping the new one does better. (We'll keep you posted on that.)
We're also not replacing the tile flooring. Honestly I'd love to replace all the flooring on the main floor with something different. But it's just not in the budget or time constraints at this time. So the kitchen tile is staying. Thankfully it's pretty neutral and will work with almost anything else we throw at it!
Here's what we'll need to check off our to do list to finish this kitchen reno:
- remove most of the upper cabinets
- remove existing tile backsplash
- remove existing island
- install shiplap backsplash/wall treatment
- build a larger island
- install farmhouse/apron front sink
- ‘wrap' island and paint
- add some lower cabinets and a desk space
- prime and paint lower and upper cabinets that stay
- change out some hardware
- install countertops
- install new range hood and custom range hood cover
- install open shelving
It's no secret that we love all things that are a bit elegant farmhouse, a bit fixer upper and a bit industrial. (Not necessarily in that order!)
While searching for inspiration images, there were a few that stuck out as favorites.
(IF YOU WISH TO PIN THESE, PLEASE DO SO FROM THE ORIGINAL SOURCE LINKED BELOW EACH PHOTO!)
There are several additional similar kitchens on my Kitchen Pinterest boards here.
Basically the new kitchen will have:
- neutral tile flooring
- a large island
- a farmhouse/apron front sink
- white and black cabinets
- open shelving (just like over the coffee bar at our old house)
- black stainless steel appliances (these are here already and they are SO beautiful!)
- black knobs and half cup pulls
- a ‘bridge' style faucet
- butcher block counters
- a white shiplap backsplash
- and LOTS of built in storage!
Our Style Board
I spent a lot of time trying to wrap my brain around the plan for this room. I've redone a few kitchens, but never one that is SO open to the rest of the main floor living spaces. It's a feature of this house that I love but it's one that takes a bit more figuring when designing a new kitchen.
There's always things like budget to consider too. There was just no way we could afford to gut the whole kitchen and start from scratch. I would have loved to move the stove over to the center of the wall and add a floor to ceiling pantry (or better yet a walk-in pantry!). But I'm totally okay with not doing those things too. There are parts of the existing kitchen that function just fine. And the island is only totally being replaced because we're switching from a normal sink to a farmhouse sink and expanding the whole island. Some of the island's panels had also previously been damaged by water and heat from the old dishwasher.
So after so very much pondering and playing around with ideas, here's the style board I came up with:
As you can see, it's a bit different than an entirely white kitchen, but I'm very excited to see how it turns out!
Meet Our Sponsors
We have the pleasure of working with some of our favorite sponsors for our modern farmhouse kitchen makeover:
The Home Depot Canada – appliances
Lumber Liquidators – counters
Fusion Mineral Paint – paint for cabinets
HANDy Paint Products – backsplash
Broan NuTone – range hood
Be sure to come back next week for the next installment of the kitchen makeover!
Click below to see the other posts in Our Modern Farmhouse Kitchen Makeover series:
– Inspiration Board, Sources and Sponsors (you are here!)
– Choosing the Perfect Appliances for Us with The Home Depot (coming soon)
– Installing and Painting a Shiplap Backsplash with HANDy Paint Products (coming soon)
– Butcher Block Countertop Reveal with Lumber Liquidators (coming soon)
– Our Modern Farmhouse Kitchen Makeover REVEAL! (coming soon)
– Appliance Features We Adore with The Home Depot (coming soon)
– Modern Farmhouse Range Hood Cover with Broan NuTone (coming soon)