Dean and I are doing something we have NEVER done before. We are joining the exciting craziness that is the One Room Challenge™ to make over our modern farmhouse kitchen!
Well it's official. The house is a DISASTER!
Like full on disaster from top to bottom.
We've lived through a couple of kitchen renos though, so I sort of expected the mess. And I think – but maybe don't ask Dean or the kids, m'kay? – I'm doing okay with it and not losing my mind too much. 😉
Our To Do List/The Plan
Like I mentioned already in this post there are a few things in the kitchen that we're not replacing, either because we already did or because they just aren't priority right now.
We've already replaced the light fixtures and the faucet. Although we had to get a replacement for the faucet because the one we bought was leaking. Here's hoping the new one does better. (We'll keep you posted on that.)
We're also not replacing the tile flooring. Honestly I'd love to replace all the flooring on the main floor with something different. But it's just not in the budget or time constraints at this time. So the kitchen tile is staying. Thankfully it's pretty neutral and will work with almost anything else we throw at it!
Here's what we need to do still, plus the progress we've made so far:
remove most of the upper cabinets remove existing tile backsplash remove existing island
- install shiplap backsplash/wall treatment
build a larger island
- install farmhouse/apron front sink
‘wrap' island and paint
- add some lower cabinets and a desk space
- prime and paint lower and upper cabinets that stay
- change out some hardware
- install countertops
- install new range hood and custom range hood cover
- install open shelving
I'm really thankful Dean was able to take the week off – partially to work on the kitchen and partially to be home for our anniversary. (This time last year he took the week off to work on the bathroom at our last house.)
At this point there are no tutorials or step by step. Just some progress photos.
So there you have it. Our progress thus far.
What think you of our modern farmhouse kitchen makeover at this point?
Click below to see the other posts in Our Modern Farmhouse Kitchen Makeover series:
– Rebuilding a Larger Kitchen Island (you are here)
– Choosing the Perfect Appliances for Us with The Home Depot (coming soon)
– Installing and Painting a Shiplap Backsplash with HANDy Paint Products (coming soon)
– Butcher Block Countertop Reveal with Lumber Liquidators (coming soon)
– Our Modern Farmhouse Kitchen Makeover REVEAL! (coming soon)
– Appliance Features We Adore with The Home Depot (coming soon)
– Modern Farmhouse Range Hood Cover with Broan NuTone (coming soon)