One of the best parts of the autumn season is the abundance of apples. Red ones, green ones, tart one, sweet ones.
If I was a bit more of an apple connoisseur, this is where I'd wow you with all the names of the different types of apples. Unfortunately all I know is that Granny Smith apples should NOT be eaten raw (blech!) and my hubby adores Cortland apples more than any other kind.
Apples make really great pie this time of year. However, I'm not much of a pie-maker (my sister is the Queen of pies in our family), but I can throw together a mean crisp or compote (neither of which require a fussy crust). And my favorite go-to easy dessert recipe is My Mom's Apple Crisp.
You see, My Mom's Apple Crisp is quite versatile: I can use anywhere from 6-10 apples depending on how big I want to make it, I can use the full amount of sugar for a sweet dessert or I can cut the sugar in half (or even substitute some sugar for honey or maple syrup), and I can make it gluten free by using rice flour or a combination of rice flour and quinoa flakes.
The best part is, after 18 years of practice, I can pretty much make it on the fly without a recipe!
My Mom's Apple Crisp
Warm, cozy apple crisp is the perfect dessert to whip up at the last minute for guests - or just for yourself!
15 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 6-10 apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon (or more if you happen to be making it FOR my Mom!)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup flour or rolled oats (or a combination)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter melted (or oil)
- Combine first 5 ingredients together and place into a greased baking dish (glass is best). Set aside.
- Combine last 3 ingredients in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle over apples, covering apples completely.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Apples should be soft and the top brown and crisp.
Like I said, a super easy dessert that is perfect for last minute guests!
Get our FREE Meal Planning Printable!
Just fill out your email and click the button to get instant access to our meal planning printable - plus how to meal plan in 6 simple steps!
Make meal prep easier and save money by meal planning this week!