Do you know that I read Sense & Sensibility every single year?
But that until this year I'd never read Pride & Prejudice?
Not until I watched a movie called Austenland on Netflix did I realize how much I like Jane Austen.
Okay so the movie was a little cheesy.
But I fall for sappy romantic endings every time.
Anyway, I though it might be fun to pay homage to my favorite writer with a little Jane Austen Silhouette art.
Jane Austen Silhouette Art
Ages ago I found a 12″x 12″ wood plaque thingy at Michael's. I wasn't too sure what I was going to do with it, but thought it would be handy to have around for a project at some point.
Also since I would likely be using the Jane Austen silhouette stencil only once I didn't want to waste any stencil material. So I created my one-time-use stencil with regular card stock. (If you want to use the stencil again and again though, I'd highly recommend the Silhouette Stencil Material!)
- 12″ x 12″ wood plaque (with or without grooves)
- dark walnut stain
- warm white paint
- Jane Austen Silhouette
- scrapbook paper or card stock
- stencil adhesive spray
- black craft paint
- foam brushes
- sandpaper (optional)
1. Stain wood plaque with dark walnut stain, following instructions on package and let dry.
2. Paint over dry stained plaque with a warm white paint. I used some Fusion Mineral Paint in Champlain. Let dry.
3. In the Silhouette Studio software, set up a 12″ x 12″ page. Insert and center the Jane Austen silhouette.
4. Using any heavier weight scrapbook paper or 12″ x 12″ card stock, cut out Jane Austen silhouette with Silhouette machine.
5. Gently spray back of paper/card stock silhouette stencil with stencil adhesive spray and position onto wood plaque. Reposition if necessary.
6. Using a foam brush and black paint fill in “Jane Austen”. Be sure to only use a little paint at a time so as not to cause the paint to bleed underneath paper stencil. Remove stencil and let dry.
7. Sand entire surface of plaque to distress. (Optional)
Now I'm off to read Mansfield Park…
Who is your favorite author? Ever thought of making silhouette art?
Some links in this post are affiliate links. Both Silhouette America and Fusion Mineral Paint provided product for this post. Neither told me what to create or what to say. As always the projects and thoughts on this blog are entirely mine! 🙂
Love Farmhouse Style?
Get instant access to this free guide for Where to Get Farmhouse Style on a Budget!