Well the weather has FINALLY decided it's going to grow up and act like Spring already.
No more snow in Ontario. Thank God!
Which means that it's also FINALLY time to start thinking about outdoor projects.
This year we've got a fair amount of yard work to do and we're thrilled to be partnering with Scotts Miracle-Gro as part of their Gro Crew to do it!
If you were around last year, you may remember we tackled our back yard.
We live in a backsplit so our “back” yard is actually an L shape from the garage around the back. Behind the garage and out the side door is a patio.
It's a fabulous space.
The big project out there last year was tearing down the old dilapidated fence and putting up a vertical garden trellis with clay pots filled with herbs and various greenery.
What we didn't consider though was all the watering those pretty little plants in pots would require.
Which was a problem every time we went away for the weekend!
Early on in the summer our beautiful greenery was decidedly less green.
More of a brown really.
So this year our first outdoor project is going to be removing the clay pots and planting something BELOW the trellis that will GROW up the chicken wire. This will allow for less maintenance and still give us the shady greenery we like right next to the patio.
Here are some of the vines we're considering:
- Clematis – beautiful flowering vine with shades varying from deep blue all the way to light pink
- Boston Ivy – non-flowering vine that provides beautiful shade, may be better beside a patio than a flowering vine (Bees!), turns brilliant scarlet color in autumn
- Sarcoxie Euonymus – evergreen which means it would provide privacy year round, easily grows in sun and shade
- Vegetables – beans, cucumbers and tomatoes can all grow vertically and the kids have been dying to have a vegetable garden!
Since it's not really a good idea to plant anything in the ground here in Southern Ontario (Canada) until around May 24th, we have a few weeks to choose.
In the meantime, we want to know what you'll be working on this year. Will you be planting flowers? Maybe vegetables? Or will you be working on your lawn?
–> Tell us what outdoor projects you'll be working on this year in the comments below and we will choose one of you to win a Welcome Package from Scotts Miracle-Gro to get you started. The winner will receive: (GIVEAWAY CLOSED!)
- Scotts EcoSense Weed Be Gone 5L with Wand
- Scotts Turf Builder Starter Lawn Food for New Grass
- Ortho Home Defense MAX Ant Traps
- Ortho Home Defense MAX Ant Glue Traps
- Miracle-Gro Flower Magic Multicolour Mix
- Scotts Miracle-Gro Blanket (perfect for picnics or cozying up by the fire)
- $50 Home Depot Gift Card (perhaps for plants or other Scotts Miracle-Gro products to help create your backyard oasis?)
We want to know who will be joining us in our journey towards a green(er) thumb!
P.S. To follow along on social media be sure to follow #IGrewIt.
Love Farmhouse Style?
Get instant access to this free guide for Where to Get Farmhouse Style on a Budget!