Frequently family photos get a bad rap when it comes to decorating a home with style. And for a really long time I believed the same thing.
After all how many ugly framed photo collages have we all seen “gracing” the walls of homes? How many randomly sized and shaped photos can be displayed in one frame? (I always wondered why they couldn't make those things more stylish.)
Gallery walls with individually framed pictures, custom art and other memorabilia have finally elevated the family photo closer to artwork than ever before. The prevalence of great family photographers with less cliche photo studio shots have also helped to make family photos much more attractive.
So how does one decorate with family photos in a stylish and attractive way?
How to Decorate with Family Photos
1. Use an easel to display a single large family photo. This can be framed or simply clipped to the easel for a casual display.
2. Enlarge and have a family photo printed on canvas and hang it on the wall in the dining room or over the couch.
3. Hang family photos in a variety of shapes and sizes, but unify them with a single color of frame like white or black.
4. Use a grid pattern, black and white photos and black frames (like we did with our Michaels frames above my desk) to create a classically elegant photo display.
5. Cover a large bulletin board with snapshots, keeping the photos completely inside the edges for a unified and tidy look.
Bonus? Any of these ideas would make a fabulous Mother's Day, birthday or anniversary idea too!
What are your thoughts on decorating with family photos? Do you keep things cohesive and stylish?