One of the hallmarks of a beautiful home is a few beautiful vignettes creatively placed on tabletops or tucked into bookshelves. Coffee tables, entryway tables and mantels are the perfect place for vignettes too.
Creating a vignette can sometimes be tricky though. What items do you use? How many pieces? How big? How small?
How to Create a Vignette
Learning how to create a vignette is simple if you remember a few key things.
- Use a lamp or other anchor piece as one of your items and build your vignette around its base. A lamp has the added bonus of illuminating the vignette when turned on at night.
- Work with odd numbers. Three item vignettes are the easiest to start with and are very pleasing to the eye. In my vignette above on the left side of the desk there are three items – the lamp, the photo frame and the small creamer with flowers. Even when you look at the space as a whole, there are 9 photo frames and 5 items on the desk – all odd numbers.
- Vary the height of the items. When using three items for example, have a tall item, a medium height item and a short item. Or give smaller items height by placing them on a stack of books.
- Create depth by building the vignette outward from back to front as opposed to lining the items in a row along the length of the surface.
- Pay attention to the background. Vignettes need a background to anchor them. In my vignette the black and white grid of photos is a great non-intrusive backdrop. A large mirror or framed piece of art also works well.
(All printables are for personal use only)
Are you good at creating vignettes? Or are they something you struggle with? Can I help you?
P.S. Want more free spring printables? Go visit my blogging friends below for more!
Watercolor Floral Crest Printable by Nest of Posies
How to Create a Vignette and Hello Spring Free Printable by AKA Design
Fresh Blooms Market Printable by Design, Dining, and Diapers
Spring Flowers by Zevy Joy
The Charming Gardeners Wreath by Ella Claire
Count Your blessings by My Sweet Savannah
Oh Happy Day | Free Printable for Spring by Maison de Pax
Blue and White Spring Printable by Shades of Blue Interiors
Hello Spring by Happy Happy Nester
Spring Sandwich Wrappers by Paint Me Pink
Tulip Favor Watercolor by Migonis Home
Spring Printable by My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
The Earth Laughs in Flowers by Lolly Jane
In One Small Garden by Town and Country Living
Vintage Spring Flower Printable by Love Grows Wild
Spring Botanical Prints by Live Laugh Rowe
Gardening Printable by Home Stories A to Z
Spring bloom watercolor by Craftberry Bush
Free Printable Spring To Do List by My Fabuless Life
Peter Rabbit Print by My Someday in May
Inspirational Spring Printable by City Farmhouse
Blue Jay Watercolor Free Printable by Finding Silver Pennies
Live Life in Full Bloom by Clean and Scentsible
Here Comes Peter Cottontail by Eclectically Vintage
Hope Springs Eternals Watercolour Art by The Happy Housie
Mini Botanical Cake Banner by TIDBITS
Today Is A Good Day by A Burst of Beautiful
Blooming Crocus by Jennifer Rizzo Design Company
Let it Soar by Delineate Your Dwelling
Spring Apothecary Jar Label Printables by Bless’er House
Favorite Spring Things Free Printable by Nina Hendrick Blog
He Makes All Things New Botanical Farmhouse Mantel by Cherished Bliss
Easter Bunny Bunting by Four Generations One Roof
Get FREE printables!
Get instant access to our library of free printables,
PLUS coupon codes and discounts for our Etsy printables shop!