There are several questions that I get asked repeatedly about decorating. One of those questions is ‘how do I make my space look pretty without it looking cluttered by accessories?'
The main answer to the clutter question is vignettes. A vignette is a small grouping of items that tells a story of you and your home, in a visually pleasing way on a table top or other surface.
But that answer often leads to a further question – ‘how do I create stylish vignettes?'
And that is where I'll let you in on a little secret – vignettes (and quite frankly all decorating) are best if they are layered. There's a bit more to it than that, which I talked about here. But if you get the layering and varying heights right, you can create a beautiful vignette.
How to Create a Layered Coffee Table Vignette
To show you exactly how to create a layered coffee table vignette, I broke down the steps in photos below.
You can see that I started with one, two, three major pieces of graduated heights. Then I filled in the spaces with smaller scale items, keeping the number of items UNEVEN. And then I added the greenery, bit by bit.
And since a picture is worth a thousand words (or so they say), here are a few more photos of the coffee table so that you can see how the layers all work together.
Supplies used in this particular vignette (all from Michaels):
- one Ashland® Décor greenhouse
- one Ashland® Décor glass cloche (on top of a cakestand that Dean and I made from a Michaels raw wood candle holder and some wood)
- two Ashland® Décor sphere candle holders
- two packages Ashland® faux foam and moss rocks
- one Ashland® small glass and black metal terrarium
- large bunny (from the Michaels spring collection)
- three Ashland® faux plants
- two bundles nests (also from the Michaels spring collection)
- two square faux moss pieces
Are you itching for spring like I am? How's your vignette styling game – good or needs some improvement?
(As a member of the Micheals Makers team, this post is sponsored by Michaels. Check back during Michaels Make-a-thon for new deals every day.)
Love Farmhouse Style?
Get instant access to this free guide for Where to Get Farmhouse Style on a Budget!