I've always loved to cook. Not gourmet meals by any stretch of the imagination, just simple yummy dishes. I'm no Ina Garten or Julia Child, after all. But I do love to spend time in the kitchen creating delicious food for my family and friends. Often though time is tight and it's really tempting to heat up a frozen lasagna or make a box of mac and cheese. But wait! Why not try our Homemade Spaghetti Sauce first?
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
I make a mean crockpot spaghetti sauce that gets it's delicious flavor from simmering all day. But some mornings rush by in a blur and I can't get to putting all the ingredients in the slow cooker.
Enter my quick homemade spaghetti sauce.
Sometimes it's just not possible to make everything from scratch. Try my halfway homemade spaghetti sauce paired with pasta for a quick meal!
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced red onions
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tbsp crushed dried oregano
- 1 tbsp crushed dried basil
- 1 tbsp crushed dried parsley
- 1 28 oz can (or bottle) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- Heat oil in bottom of medium sauce pan.
- Saute onions until translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add herbs and stir.
- Pour crushed tomatoes over onions, garlic and herbs in sauce pan.
- Add sugar, salt, black pepper and optional red pepper flakes.
- Simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Serve over hot pasta (whole wheat, rice, kamut, etc).
Quick, easy spaghetti sauce that's homemade so you know (and can prounounce!) all the ingredients. Yummy!
Do you make your own homemade spaghetti sauce? Do you have any go-to healthy recipes for rushed dinners?
Get our FREE Meal Planning Printable!
Just fill out your email and click the button to get instant access to our meal planning printable - plus how to meal plan in 6 simple steps!
Make meal prep easier and save money by meal planning this week!