I've long admired all those pretty hand painted globes I've seen on etsy and anthropologie.
But like so many other things, I thought making one myself would be more fun than just buying one.
I used a globe that I found at Michaels (bought with a gift card and a coupon), but you could use any globe such as one from a thrift store or flea market.
And if the base isn't pretty you could even paint that!
Easy Painted Globe DIY
- adhesive vinyl letters
- black chalk-style paint or matte craft paint
- foam brush
- washi tape or painter's tape
1. Choose a short quote to use on your globe. I chose a shortened version of Ghandi's quote “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
2. Mark out the letters you'd like to use to be sure you have enough. Either buy more letters or change your quote if necessary.
3. Apply one or two pieces of washi tape or painter's tape to your globe at an angle that you like. This will act as a guide to place your vinyl letters.
4. Start applying the adhesive vinyl letters to the globe, using tape as a guideline for placement. Depending on how long your quote is, it may be helpful to start in the center of a line to make sure everything lines up. Be sure to press down all edges to prevent paint seeping underneath your letters.
5. Remove the tape, leaving the vinyl letters on the globe.
6. Using a small amount of paint (remove excess on a piece of paper towel), start to paint the globe going over the vinyl letters carefully. Paint the rest of the globe too. Let dry.
7. Repeat Step 6 if necessary.
8. While paint is still damp, gently peel off the vinyl letters to reveal the globe beneath.
9. Touch up any paint as necessary.
Do you like hand painted globes? Have you any of your own? Did you DIY them or buy them?
Love Farmhouse Style?
Get instant access to this free guide for Where to Get Farmhouse Style on a Budget!