Part of the fun of being a craft/DIY/home blogger is all the tools that come with the job.
Glue guns, wood-burning tools and cutting machines, oh my!
This time I had the opportunity to play around with the new Silhouette Curio.
The cutting machine can create beautifully etched metal, embellish foils, sketch intricate designs, cut custom designs out of paper, add textures to papers, fabrics and other materials… the list goes on and on!
I wanted to try out the embossing feature on some card stock to make a paper pennant banner for the fireplace.
After a fair amount of trial and error and watching a few video tutorials, I was able to create a fun faux bois embossed look.
I do wish the effect was a little more pronounced and obvious.
I may also further embellish the banner on another day – maybe with some greenery or letters to make it a little more “holiday”.
But for now it ads a bit of simple festivity to the living room.
I'm looking forward to having a bit more time to play around with the tools to see what else I can create.
Here is the Silhouette cut file in case you want to try it for yourself.
Do you have crafting toys too? Which one is your favorite?
This post was sponsored by Michaels, all opinions are our own. Get your own Silhouette Curio at Michaels!
Living Room Source List:
- Wall Color – Sherwin Williams Bungalow Beige
- Flooring – Sandy Hills Hickory “Handscraped” Laminate from Lumber Liquidators
- Area Rug – Moroccan Trellis in Tan from Rugs USA
- Couches – Second Hand
- Grey Plaid Throw – similar here
- Large Square Coffee Table – DIY Brickmaker’s Coffee Table found here
- Large Square Tray – Homesense
- Electric Fireplace – Canadian Tire
- Industrial Shelves – DIY found here
- Stag Head – Home Hardware
- Wreath – Homesense
- Mantel Shelf – DIY found here
(Our source list contains affiliate links. That just means that we make a few pennies at no extra cost to you, should you purchase anything via one of the links. Thank you for helping to make this site possible! xo, Shannon)
Love Farmhouse Style?
Get instant access to this free guide for Where to Get Farmhouse Style on a Budget!