I'm all for buying and displaying real flowers in the house. After all, they are SO PRETTY!
But even grocery store blooms can add up week after week, which is why I really like to keep at least a two or three faux floral arrangements around too.
This DIY faux floral arrangement that I created with faux water has been moved around the house (both our last house and this one actually) and more than made up for the initial cost.
Because I use and love that DIY arrangement so much, when I found out that Michaels was getting MORE flowers in their Floral Market, I dreamed up a new DIY faux floral arrangement – that you can recreate for your house too!
DIY Faux Floral Arrangement
- crate or box (we used one we made a couple of years ago)
- floral foam
- 3-4 faux floral stems
- 1-2 greenery stems
- wire cutters or tin snips (or VERY strong scissors)
- floral wire (optional)
1. Arrange floral foam in your crate or box.
2. Cut flowers from each floral bundle as low as possible on each stem.
3. Starting with the largest flowers first, begin arranging the flowers by sticking their stems into the floral foam. (By starting with the largest first you can spread them out and see where you need to fill in with smaller flowers and greenery.)
4. Continue to add your stems from largest to smallest. Use floral wire if necessary on floppier stems.
5. Fill in gaps with greenery to finish the DIY faux floral arrangement.
After I finished the arrangement, I moved it to the makeshift sofa table (a board resting on two stools, covered by a long homemade table runner) in the living room, which was its intended home.
While I do love fresh flowers – especially in the late winter and early spring when it's super grey outside – I absolutely love to keep faux florals around too. Realistic faux florals can be a bit pricey, but the flip side is you only have to buy them once!
Michaels has over 1,800 blooms & greenery in their new Flower Market, including trendy succulents and real-touch flowers. Looking for more inspiration? Make sure you visit Michaels’ blog, The Glue String, to see the rest of the Michaels Makers’ spring floral project ideas.
Free DECORATING 101 Course
JOIN OVER 7,751 SUBSCRIBERS WHO ARE LEARNING EXACTLY WHERE TO START AND HOW TO CONFIDENTLY DECORATE THEIR OWN HOMES - AND GET THE 'DECORATING 101' COURSE FOR FREE!