Have you ever wished for a team of designers to swoop down upon your house, work their magic and transform all the rooms into gorgeous spaces overnight just like they do on all those HGTV design shows?
Yeah, me too.
The problem is, real life decorating isn't like a design show.
Decorating is a process.
Sometimes it's a slow process. It's one little decision built upon another. And truth be told it may take you quite awhile to feel like you're 100% finished decorating your space.
And that's what I really want you to know – that in real life decorating your home doesn't happen over night and that's okay.
It's okay to leave a formal living room without furniture while you save for the pieces you really want.
It's okay to use a folding table in the dining room until you find the table you really want.
It's okay to use a hand me down place holder couch until the one you'd like is back in stock.
It's okay to stare at a blank wall while you search for the perfect piece that you will love for years to come.
Don't rush out and buy all the things just to fill your home.
Because in the end, you want to love your home. You want to spend your money on things you will continue to love and admire for a long time. And you want your space to feel like an extension of you…not just some randomly decorated rooms that may or may not look good on tv.
Decorating is a process. It's one little decision built upon another. And when done well, leaves you with a much better outcome than any overnight, quickie-makeover design show ever could.
Living Room Source List:
- Wall Color – Sherwin Williams Analytical Grey
- Curtains – Ikea
- Flooring – Sandy Hills Hickory “Handscraped” Laminate from Lumber Liquidators
- Area Rug – Moroccan Trellis in Tan from Rugs USA
- Couch – Ektorp Sectional from Ikea
- Pillow Covers – Porter Lane Home on etsy
- Pillow Inserts – FJÄDRAR inner pillow from Ikea
- Grey Plaid Throw – similar here
- Oversized Clock – Fulton St. Wall Clock from Wayfair
- Grey Knit Poufs – Addison Pouf Ottoman in Grey from Wayfair
- Chandelier – Hampton Bay Heritage 6-Light Iron Chandelier from The Home Depot
- Large Square Coffee Table – DIY Brickmaker’s Coffee Table found here
- Large Square Tray – Homesense
- Large Vase – Walmart
- Faux Pink Stems/Flowers – Michael's
- Electric Fireplace – Canadian Tire
- Corner Floor Lamp – Logan Floor Lamp from Wayfair
- Leaning ladder – DIY Ladder Made with 2”x4”s found here
(Our source list contains affiliate links. That just means that we make a few pennies at no extra cost to you, should you purchase anything via one of the links. Thank you for helping to make this site possible! xo, Shannon)
Free DECORATING 101 Course
JOIN OVER 7,751 SUBSCRIBERS WHO ARE LEARNING EXACTLY WHERE TO START AND HOW TO CONFIDENTLY DECORATE THEIR OWN HOMES - AND GET THE 'DECORATING 101' COURSE FOR FREE!