But who has time for making the crust on a busy day? Not me! Plus I'm actually kinda terrible at pastry of any kind.
So instead of avoiding chicken pot pie all together, I've tweaked and re-tweaked this old recipe with a quick spooned on crust for years. Now it's one of our family favorites!
Yields 6-8 servings
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3-5 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen peas, green beans (or a mix)
- 1-2 cups leftover cooked chicken, cubed/shredded
- 2 tbsp roux (1 tbsp melted butter + 1 tbsp rice flour, mixed well)
- 1 tbsp sage
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp melted butter
- Combine all of the filling ingredients in a sauce pan and stir over low heat until thickened.
- Pour into a 9" x 13" glass baking dish, set aside.
- Mix crust ingredients together in a large measuring cup.
- Spoon on or pour over filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, or until crust is light brown and pot pie is bubbling.
Now you and I both can have chicken pot pie any day of the week!
Get our FREE Meal Planning Printable!
Just fill out your email and click the button to get instant access to our meal planning printable - plus how to meal plan in 6 simple steps!
Make meal prep easier and save money by meal planning this week!