Mac and Cheese is pure comfort food.
But when you're trying to slim down, you have a picky eater and all your kids can't eat cheese, it becomes a quest to find a recipe that can be adapted for everyone in the family.
So I adapted my own Dairy Free Gluten Free Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese from this Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese recipe.
Yields 4-6 servings
Mac and Cheese is pure comfort food. But when you’re trying to slim down, you have a picky eater and all your kids can’t eat cheese...you improvise.
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 package gluten free brown rice pasta
- 1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 1/2 - 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup original almond milk
- 1 cup Daiya cheddar flavor cheese shreds
- 2 tbsp soy or other dairy free yogurt (almond, coconut)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp HP sauce or gluten free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 9" x 13" glass baking dish.
- Cut squash in half, scoop out seeds. Microwave covered for about 8 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and scoop into food processor. Add broth, milk, Daiya, yogurt, garlic, HP or Worcestershire Sauce, Dijon Mustard, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Meanwhile cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well and place in prepared baking dish.
- Add cheese and squash mixture to pasta and stir well.
- Sprinkle gluten free bread crumbs over top of pasta and lightly spray with olive oil.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes or until bubbly. If desired broil on low for 5 minutes to brown the top.
Everyone in our family LOVES this dish…
Including the picky eater!
For even more vegetables serve with a side salad or steamed broccoli.
What's your favorite mac and cheese recipe?
Get our FREE Meal Planning Printable!
Just fill out your email and click the button to get instant access to our meal planning printable - plus how to meal plan in 6 simple steps!
Make meal prep easier and save money by meal planning this week!