Once upon a time embroidery hoops were simple utilitarian tools.
One would use an embroidery hoop to create a needle point piece, remove the hoop and frame or otherwise display the completed piece, placing the hoop back in a drawer for later use.
But not any more!
Embroidery hoops themselves are now often used as the frame for a finished piece of art.
Be Thankful Fall Hoop Art
And now for fall – hoop art!
- 6″ embroidery hoop
- felt or Warm and Natural Cotton Batting
- linen or soft cotton
- embroidery floss
- laminated burlap
- sewing needle
- hot glue and glue gun
- computer and printer
- Distress Ink antiquing pad (optional)
1. Print out hoop art template found here.
2. Tape template to a window (or a light box if you're fancy!). Tape linen or soft cotton on top. Using a pencil, lightly trace template onto fabric. Remove from window.
3. Assemble hoop and fabric as shown, layering the hoop center, felt/batting, fabric with penciled on template (photo does not show template), and then outer hoop. Tighten to secure.
4. Separate embroidery floss, and use three strings to thread your needle. Tie a knot at end opposite the needle. Stitch the “be thankful” using a combination of single back stitches for the lighter strokes and blanket stitches for the heavier downward strokes of each letter.
5. Trace pennant banner pieces onto back of laminated burlap and cut out.
6. Using three strands and a simple backstitch sew pennants onto hoop art.
7. Optional: rub distress ink onto edges and anywhere you'd like extra “wear” and distressing to appear.
8. Trim excess fabric. Hot glue remaining edges to back of hoop.
Embroidery Hoop Art.
It's totally a thing.
Have you ever made hoop art? Or are embroidery hoops just a tool for you?
Disclosure: Some links in this post are affiliate links, meaning, if you click on one of them and make a purchase, I will receive a portion of that sale…at absolutely no cost to you of course. I like to think of it as the perfect situation – you get something awesome and I get a paid to tell you about it! I'd be grateful for a purchase on one of my affiliate links, but that is completely up to you.
Free DECORATING 101 Course
JOIN OVER 7,751 SUBSCRIBERS WHO ARE LEARNING EXACTLY WHERE TO START AND HOW TO CONFIDENTLY DECORATE THEIR OWN HOMES - AND GET THE 'DECORATING 101' COURSE FOR FREE!