Learn how to love your home in this 31 day series about making small improvements to,
being grateful for and seeing the beauty in the home you have.
Welcome back to day 7 of our HOME SWEET HOME – 31 Days to Love Your Home series!
One of the key things I hope you've learned so far in the 31 Days to Love Your Home series, is that how much you love your home doesn't ONLY have to do with how your home looks. It also has a LOT to do with the memories you have made in your home and the feelings associated with those memories.
Chances are if you've brought kids home from the hospital or watched them take their first steps in your house, you will think of your home with increased fondness because of those memories…even if it's not your dream home.
But what about when maybe you've passed that age and stage with your kids? What if those memories happened in another house? What if your current home is new to you in the last little while? How can you gain similar positive feelings towards your house so that you love your home?
By making new memories, of course!
20 Ways to Create New Memories So You Can Love Your Home
- Throw a party. Maybe there's a birthday or anniversary nearby to celebrate. Or maybe not and you can just throw a party for no reason at all!
- Pull out the board games, light some candles and get out the snacks. Pretend like you're spending time at a cabin on a rainy day.
- Pretend you're camping and have a sleepover on the family room floor. Make Smore's in the oven since there's hopefully no open fire!
- Have a sing along. Sing all the silly songs, favorite songs or old songs you can think of. Take the sing along up a notch and give out awards for the best solo, the best air guitar or the best costume.
- Act out scenes from your favorite family movies together.
- Have an open mic night, stand up comedy style. Take turns telling silly jokes. Bonus points if Dad isn't the one telling the best Dad jokes!
- Have each person choose to do a random act of kindness for another family member. Things like folding laundry, cleaning up a bedroom or taking out the trash.
- Write down only nice things about each other on a piece of paper. Put these in a safe place to look back on later.
- Watch home videos or look at photos of firsts – first steps, first day of school, first tooth, first dance, etc.
- Tell your kids the story of how you and your husband/wife met.
- Write out as many good memories as you can think of on separate slips of paper and fill a jar with them.
- Plant a garden or a tree.
- Have a picnic on the floor. Bonus points for graciously eating messy foods with your fingers!
- Create a gallery wall.
- Listen to your favorite play, movie or book in audio version only and let your imaginations run wild.
- Cook a favorite meal or dessert together and then sit down and eat it.
- Snuggle up in front of the fire with blankets and books. No devices allowed.
- Make a height chart if there's still growing room in your family. 😉
- Create art together. Put finished art up in the family room or on the fridge.
- Learn a new skill together. Use Youtube videos to teach you.
Make some plans for this weekend.
But rather than making plans to go out, make some plans IN your home using the ideas above. Plan to make new memories. Be deliberate about it.
Then come back here and tell me in the comments how you did!
IF YOU WANT TO GET EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THE HOME SWEET HOME – 31 DAYS TO LOVE YOUR HOME POSTS SENT TO YOU BY EMAIL, JUST SIGN UP BELOW!
31 Days to Love Your Home
Get each of the
Home Sweet Home - 31 Days to Love Your Home
posts sent to your inbox as they're available!