I’ve always loved to cook.
Not gourmet meals by any stretch of the imagination, just simple yummy dishes. I’m no Ina Garten or Julia Child, after all.
But I do love to spend time in the kitchen creating delicious food for my family and friends.
Often though time is tight and made-from-scratch is completely impossible because of schedules and to-do lists. When that happens it’s really tempting to heat up a frozen lasagna or make a box of mac and cheese.
But even halfway homemade is better than preservative laden pre-packaged foods.
Halfway Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
I make a mean crockpot spaghetti sauce that gets it’s delicious flavor from simmering all day. But some mornings rush by in a blur and I can’t get to putting all the ingredients in the slow cooker.
Enter my halfway homemade spaghetti sauce.
Shannon Acheson, AKA Design
Sometimes it's just not possible to make everything from scratch. Try my halfway homemade spaghetti sauce paired with pasta for a quick meal!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced red onions
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tbsp crushed dried oregano
- 1 tbsp crushed dried basil
- 1 tbsp crushed dried parsley
- 1 28 oz can (or bottle) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- Heat oil in bottom of medium sauce pan.
- Saute onions until translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add herbs and stir.
- Pour crushed tomatoes over onions, garlic and herbs in sauce pan.
- Add sugar, salt, black pepper and optional red pepper flakes.
- Simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Serve over hot pasta (whole wheat, rice, kamut, etc).
Quick, easy spaghetti sauce that’s homemade so you know (and can prounounce!) all the ingredients. Yummy!
Do you make your own spaghetti sauce? Do you have any go-to healthy recipes for rushed dinners?